Thursday, November 20, 2008

Colesberg, SA

The kind matron of Die Kleipot (The Claypot) Guest House in Colesberg, SA let me use her computer and internet connection. My fist priority was to access my e-mail and do some printing. Communications in the Africa continent are not exactly what most of us are accustomed to in the US. For months I have been e-mailing with the staff at the Iris Ministries orphanage in Pemba, Mozambique. I sent them an email to let them know that I was in Africa, and would soon be coordinating my flight to their area. This week the time came right for me to make that jump so I decided to call the number that I had been provided for their center. No go. Tried the second number - again no go. At least this time I get a message in Portuguese and English telling me to try again later... At this point I had already gotten a quote on a ticket and was just awaiting their confirmation before making the final purchase - the ticket agents were cautionary as there was no backing out or refund once I said I wanted to purchase. Also I had reserved a rental car for 16hr drive to the Jo-burg airport where my flight would depart from. When the calls failed I sent an e-mail and expectantly waited all day for a reply. Nothing. Putting off my decision till the very last minute yesterday morning, I went to the internet cafe again and checked for a reply from Pemba. Nothing. I talked with God, and my host Shawn and tried to decide what to do. Finally we agreed the best course of action was to proceed and let God sort out the details as I moved forward. I phoned the travel agent and told her to go through with the ticket purchase. I went to AVIS and picked up my car. I packed my bags and with SA road map in hand I hit the road a little before noon. Shawn gave me advice for the best route and this mostly involved taking the N1 right through the heart of South Africa's Karroo. I pulled out of the Cape region and wound my way through the Stellenbosch wine country. Mountains towered on either side of the road and when you went around bends you could see miles of vineyard filled valleys bellow. Slowly the road crept higher and the climate began to become more and more arid. High on one mountain peak I saw a few tiny remains of my first Africa snow. The mountains began to level and I was soon driving across vast dry expanses of scrub brush and cactus. Sheep and goats foraged in the rough grasses, and occasionally I saw a wild buck feeding. If I hadn't known that I was in Africa, I would have believed without doubt that I was in the American West. Everywhere were sights that reminded me specifically of northern Arizona, southern Utah, or eastern Colorado. In the areas where the highway was cut through rock you can see the exact same veins of light green and purple rocks that fill the mountains in Utah. The three buttes that give the town of Three Sisters its name are what you'd expect to see in a cowboy film. The dry air had parched the ground leaving it in many places a maze of cracks. This is the Karroo. I left the Western Cape and drove into Northern Cape province. By now sitting on the right side of a vehicle and driving well over 100km/hr while passing all over the road feels almost completely natural.
As the sun set I saw ahead a few towering flat topped thunder heads. They were beautiful and majestic as they reflected the rosy evening light. Then the lighting began to flash. With night coming on more and more bolts began to dance between the clouds and down towards the ground. Central south Africa is extremely dark at night, but these flashes would momentarily illuminate the landscape. There is as sparse powerful beauty in the plains.
At around 9pm i checked into Die Kleipot. Shawn and Karien had recommended it highly. As soon as i got my key, my new host advised that I hurry if i wanted to get dinner. The Horse and Mill is a local pub with plenty of character and pretty decent lamp pie. The walls are covered with the signatures of visitors and the rafters with flags and the currencies of just about every nation imaginable.
This morning held good news. In my e-mail box was a response from Iris saying that my Friday arrival should be just fine! Also the e-tickets that I need for my flight had arrived and I was able to print them out. Praise God. Everything SHOULD now be in order. I drive the 700 odd kilometers to Johannesburg, drop my car at the AVIS airport return, check into to departing flights. Hopefully I'll be able to catch a little sleep in the terminal overnight. Then, at 8:40 am my flight is scheduled to depart for Pemba. There I plan to spend the next 2 1/2 weeks before returning to spend some time in Jo-berg area with a paster who works among the black communities of Soweto. What amazing opportunities and experiences I am living.
Love to all. Thanks for the picture comments and notes. It's always wonderful to hear from friends in the States!

jared

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Jared! Africa sounds amazing. I never thought about there being snow and cacti there. I was just able to get online as our computers have been having issues since I talked to you. Dad dug out Heidi Bakker's book just now just as I was about to order one. Now we can learn more about where you are as we travel to KY. Happy Thanksgiving! I love you, Momma