Thursday, November 13, 2008

Baboons and things...

People in SA often refer to the rest of the continent as "Africa". "This is Jared and he's hoping to go up into Africa". It's spoken of here as a very different and far off place. There's almost an identity breech the separates this place from that. If geography doesn't something still can. Even though I can get on a bus and ride there... This sometimes seems very reasonable. Most Americans would likely be shocked by the completely urban nature of Cape Town. As much as it is beautiful, it is also metropolitan. The mall that I visited is probably one of the largest of my life - and I'm told it's the small one by comparison. But then there are reminders that this is indeed a part of the African continent. My new friend Adrian drove with me out to Cape Point where I got the chance to see the meeting of the oceans and the windswept point that demonized and defined so many mariners of past centuries. Along the road a troupe of baboons played on and by the road. It was so completely foreign from my experiences, while yet being on a road between towns that would probably fit more with our imaginations of Europe.

I left my camera behind when I came to the computer today, so no new pictures, but there will be a lot of good ones coming soon.

Stay well!

jared

2 comments:

jul said...

Cool, you're crazy aren't you? You should see if you can track down Bertie Brits while you're in SA.

Sunrise said...

Baboons! That's awesome.

And look! I got a blogger account. :)

~Dawn