Friday, March 5, 2010

Atlanta Airport - The world's busiest

I love people watching and if there's one thing that airports are good for it's this. You just pick up a plate of southern fried chicken and a sweet tea and find a seat that faces out toward the river of humanity. There's little hippster couples in their matching cut off jean shorts. Older gentlemen in berets and bowties. Hippy holdover ladies in linen pants and Chocos with tall striped socks. Sanctimonious older sisters patrolling their siblings' eating practices. Massive Indianapolis Colts fans and whole families sprinting against the clock with backpacks swinging. Women with tall poofy hair and old husbands asleep with their heads on their wives' laps. Girls in leggings and tall boots whose days were just ruined when their iPhone failed and people hugging tennis rackets like Teddy bears.
I love the gift of seeing. The way that opens and enlivens your world. For me leaving home hightens and intensifies these senses. Take me away from the world I know and I find myself pinching myself to see if I'm really witnessing all the things that jump out. It's the beauty of watching a highway merge lane from miles up or the gorgeous red and white serpentine ribbons of Atlanta traffic - the ones that would tempt you to curse if you were stuck in them, but make you almost gasp in admiration when you view them from the air.
I'm so grateful to be alive and to have a heart beating in my chest. I'm lucky beyond words to be on my way to Haiti and to have a chance to share a part of my heart with the eternally brave people of that nation. To get to see and be a part of telling their stories.

No comments: